PARTY BUSES? SOME QUESTIONS FOR PARENTS TO CONSIDER
Start a conversation with the basics – Who, What, Where, When, Why, and How.
- Who will be on the bus?
- Who is making all the arrangements?
- Who signed the contract for the bus?
- Who is collecting the money?
- What may you bring on the bus?
- What are you going to have with you on the bus?
- What is the plan?
- What if you need or want to get off the bus?
- What if your date or friend needs to get off the bus?
- What is your back-up plan?
- Where will you be picked up?
- Where is the bus scheduled to go? Are additional stops planned?
- Where will you be dropped off? Where are you planning to sleep? Who else will be there?
- When will you be on the party bus?
- When will you be picked up?
- When will you be dropped off? How will you get home?
- Why do you want to be on a party bus?
How may I be an informed parent? Talk to other parents. Find out the name of the company. Take a look at the bus contract; it may be online. Some companies require students and parents to sign off on a code of conduct and do not allow backpacks, coolers or beverages on board. Look for a clause stating that any illegal activity is grounds for immediate termination of the ride. Exactly how this gets handled is at the driver’s discretion. Students may be dropped off at a random location and left to find their own way home if there is alcohol or drug use on board.
(LHWHSPA Executive Committee, September 2013)